REFUGEES AND DISPLACED POPULATIONS
Nearly 60 million people are displaced from their homes. That is one in every 122 people on our planet. Our world has never been richer or healthier or more advanced. Yet never before have so many people been dispossessed and stripped of their basic human rights. - Angelina Jolie
Click here to read Jolie's full quote and the entire article from her World Refugee Day visit to Turkey.
More than 59.5 million people worldwide are now forcibly displaced as a result of conflict and persecution, the highest number ever. More than 19.5 million of the uprooted are refugees who fled their home countries, while another 38.2 million are people who remain displaced by conflict within their own homelands, the so-called “internally displaced people (IDP).”
Two United Nations agencies, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA), are responsible for safeguarding the rights and well-being of the world’s refugees. Major refugee populations include: Syrians (7.6 million), Colombians (6.1 million), Palestinians (5.1 million), Iraqis (3.3 million), Sudanese (3.1 million), DR Congo Afghans (2.8 million), Pakistanis (1.9 million), South Sudanese (1.5 million), Somalis (1.1 million).
CROSSING THE MEDITERRANEAN
image: a beach in Bodrum, Turkey
Turkish media identified the boy as 3-year-old Aylan Kurdi, whose 5-year-old brother died on the same boat. Media reports said he was from the north Syrian town of Kobani near the Turkish border, scene of heavy fighting between Islamic State insurgents and Kurdish forces a few months ago. (Reuters Sept. 2, 2015)
Informative Videos from Hans Rosling regarding Syria and the Global Refugee Crisis
United Nations Agencies and Programmes focused on Refugees and Displaced Populations
Local Agencies and Organizations focused on Refugees and Displaced Populations
- Facts and Figures
- IDMC global figures
- Worldwide displacement hits all-time high as war and persecution increase
- European Commission: Refugees and internally displaced persons FACTSHEET
- "The Countries With The Most Refugees Per 1,000 Inhabitants"
- "Developing countries host 80% of refugees"
- TED Talk: How to help refugees rebuild their world
- "What's behind the Surge in Refugees Crossing the Mediterranean Sea"
- "10 truths about Europe’s migrant crisis"
- "7 questions you might have about refugees and migrants drowning in the Mediterranean"
- "Why is EU struggling with migrants and asylum?"
- "What A Solution To Europe's Migration Crisis Could Look Like"
- "UN's François Crépeau on the refugee crisis: 'Instead of resisting migration, let's organise it'"
- "Libya's people smugglers: inside the trade that sells refugees hopes of a better life"
- "Dozens of refugees found dead in truck in Austria"
- "FYROM Police Force Refugees Back to Greece"
- "The Grefugee Crisis: Greece Now Europe’s Top Recipient of Maritime Refugees"
- "Greece, on the brink of collapse, is receiving the largest numbers of refugees in Europe"
- “Syrian refugees suffer as Turkey grows intolerant”
- Opinion piece: “The Refugees are coming!!!”
- "Rich refugees pay thousands to flee war-torn Syria in luxury"
- "Revealed: How more than 100,000 migrants found their way to Europe's shores in just one month"
- "ISIS terrorists are sneaking into Europe by mingling with boatloads of desperate refugees"
- "The Global Struggle to Respond to the Worst Refugee Crisis in Generations"
- "Why West's refugee response is all wrong"