governance, and civil society
One of the core values of the United Nations, democracy provides an environment for the protection and effective realization of human rights. These values are embodied in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and further developed in the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, which enshrines a host of political rights and civil liberties underpinning meaningful democracies.
United Nations activities in support of democracy and governance include:
- assisting parliaments to enhance the checks and balances that allow democracy to thrive;
- helping to strengthen the impartiality and effectiveness of national human rights machinery and judicial systems;
- helping to develop legislation and media capacities to ensure freedom of expression and access to information;
- providing electoral assistance and long-term support for electoral management bodies;
- promoting women’s participation in political and public life.
IFES and USAID: ElectionGuide is provided by the International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES), an international nonprofit dedicated to strengthening electoral democracy.
ELECTION DAY: MAY 4
ELECTION DAY: MAY 7
UNITED KINGDOM: Snap Election
ELECTION DAY: JUNE 8
ELECTION DAY: MAY 9
FRANCE: First Round
Macron faces Le Pen for French presidency as mainstream parties bow out early
France24 | April 23, 2017
The Implications of Turkey’s Referendum
Election Guide: Democracy Assistance & Election News | April 12, 2017
International monitors deliver scathing verdict on Turkish referendum
James Masters and Kara Fox | CNN | April 18, 2017
UN and UN-Affiliated Entities that Focus on Politics, Democratic Governance, and Civil Society