THE UNITED NATIONS ASSOCIATION OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
SUMMER 2020 INTERNS NAVIGATION PAGE
Updated Mon. MAY 11
USE THE MEETINGS, EVENTS, AND ACTIVITIES BUTTON (green/middle) TO VIEW CURRENT AND UPCOMING ACTIVITIES
MANAGING YOUR INTERNSHIP
NOTE: Throughout your internship, you can re-complete the Internship Status Verification Form at any time to reflect changes in your situation.
A very important aspect of your internship will be to understand that your responsibility to UNA-Orlando is one thing and your responsibility to your school is a completely separate thing. At all times throughout your internship, be sure that you are satisfying the requirements set by your school. Then, separately but simultaneously, work to satisfy the requirements set by UNA-Orlando. When you report hours and activity to your school, don't assume that UNA-Orlando is notified. Likewise, when you report hours and activity to UNA-Orlando, don't assume that the school is notified.
Imagine how infuriating it would be to spend an entire semester thinking that you are accumulating hours towards an internship only to learn at the end of the semester that your efforts will not be recognized by the school (it has happened in the past that students have reported hours and activity to UNA-Orlando believing that the information was automatically shared with school officials).
As you consider your school schedule and work schedule, it is likely that you are wondering if your activity with UNA-Orlando will conflict with work and school. The good news is that the UNA-Orlando internships are designed to allow students to focus on their schoolwork and jobs first before focusing on UNA-Orlando.
Much of what you do will be research to understand an issue better. This means that you can accumulate internship hours during a time and in a place that is convenient for you while you familiarize yourself with that information.
There will be occasions where you will need to be present at a location for a scheduled time. However, even then, you will not be required to attend all UNA-Orlando activities. This will allow you to attend the meetings, events, or activities that best fit your personal schedule.
To summarize all that has been said in this section, when scheduling your classes and your work hours, know that your UNA-Orlando internship will be flexible enough that you will always have the ability to accumulate internship hours without a major conflict.
ACCUMULATING HOURS / UNA-ORLANDO ACTIVITY
You will be able to build your UNA-Orlando internship around your schoolwork, job, or anything else you have going on in your life. Consider your internship to have 3 components:
- activities required to achieve UNA-Orlando objectives
- activities that connect what you are doing with UNA-Orlando with what you are doing in your coursework at school
- activities that pertain to your own personal interests or professional development
Our chapter's objectives include:
- promoting awareness of our Featured Issues
- maintaining a regular schedule of discussions based on the Featured Issues
- supporting our high school and middle school Model UN clubs
You will have no set "work hours." Enough will be happening that you will be able to choose activities that do not conflict with your regular obligations.
REPORTING HOURS AND ACTIVITY
REMINDER: Using the UNA-Orlando Hours and Activity form is not equivalent to reporting your hours and activity to your school. The purpose of the Hours and Activity form is to help UNA-Orlando monitor student progress throughout the semester. The information received from the form is not shared with the school. More importantly, the page will be extremely helpful to create an activity record that can be used as backup verification if it is ever needed or to provide context to recommendations letters and resumes.
Activity that will be accepted towards your internship includes:
- research to better understand an issue or to prepare for upcoming activities
- participation in the planning and conduct of meetings and events
- all activity completed throughout the duration of a meeting or event that is organized by UNA-Orlando
- all activity completed throughout the duration of a meeting or event that is organized by another organization that you attend on behalf of UNA-Orlando
- providing administrative support to the UNA-Orlando chapter
- learning to use the tools and understand the procedures that are used to conduct chapter business
- preparation work that leads up to an activity
- followup work that occurs after an activity